- 125g (4oz) butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or treacle (see tips)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats (see tips)
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup (60g) desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease two large oven trays; line with baking paper.
- Stir butter and syrup in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth. Stir in combined soda and the water, then remaining ingredients.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls; place 5cm (2in) apart on lined trays, then flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Cool biscuits on trays.
TIP: Spray your measuring spoon with a little cooking oil spray before scooping up the golden syrup; this will help prevent the syrup sticking to the spoon. Make sure you use rolled oats rather than quick-cooking oats as they will produce a different result. Store biscuits in an airtight container for up to 1 week.