Twice Baked Stuffed Eggplant
- 3-4 small eggplants cut in half lengthways
- 120 ml of extra-virgn olive oil
- salt for seasoning
- 1-2 garlic cloves skin on, bashed with a knife
- 400g of passata or chopped tomatoes
- basil leaves
- 250g of full cream ricotta
- 1 beaten egg
- 60g of freshly grated parmigiano
- 50g of stale sourdough cut rough crumbs
- a little freshly ground black pepper
- ricotta salata or pecorino for serving
Preheat your oven to 200 C, conventional, or 180 C fan forced. Line an oven dish with baking paper.
Using a knife carefully remove the flesh from the eggplant halves, being mindful not to cut through the skin, At the end you want empty eggplant boats to readily welcome some tasty filling. Chop the eggplant flesh into 1 cm pieces and set aside.
In the meantime season the empty eggplant halves with 1/4 of the remaining oil, a little salt and bake for 30 minutes. Fry off the garlic in the remaining oil, add eggplant pieces and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium high heat until it starts to colour, then add tomato and basil, season with salt and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
Make the filling by mixing ricotta parmesan cheese, some chopped basil leaves, the beaten eggs, salt and pepper, add the eggplant red sauce and mix well.
Fill the cooked eggplant halves with the filling, Top with coarse breadcrumbs, dust with parmesan cheese. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Grate some ricotta salata on top when they are fresh out of the oven. If you don’t have ricotta salata you may try some peppery pecorino. Serve with basil leaves and a little extra drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe from “Cook Like An Italian” Season 2 Episode 3